If you’ve been putting off decorating your Christmas tree, wait no longer. Today, I’m bringing you my best tips for Christmas tree decorating…along with a talented group of blogging buddies!
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. For more information, please see my disclosures.
Welcome To Our Third Annual Christmas Tree Decor Blog Hop!
It’s not easy to get started with Christmas tree decorating. That’s why I’m joining a group of 40 home decor bloggers to give you the scoop on our Christmas trees. Come take a peek inside!
It’s the third year of the Christmas Tree Decor Blog Hop hosted by Our Crafty Mom.
Tips for Christmas Tree Decorating
I wish I could say I have a vision for Christmas tree decor that sprouts from some inner creative genius, BUT…the reality is that my style is heavily influenced by giant stacks of catalogs and trips to local home decor boutiques.
The process is always the same for me, though.
After many years of “dressing up” artificial trees, I’m finally sharing some quick and easy tips for Christmas tree decorating in the hopes you’ll have the most stress-free decorating experience ever!
Tip #1: Start with Ribbon
Do you ever fall in love with a decor accessory and just let it lead the show?
That’s how I felt about this red and gold ribbon combo, which set the stage for my entire living room decor. I adore that gold mesh ribbon!
Since my artificial Christmas tree came pre-lit, I hit the ground running by attaching my ribbon at the top of my tree with pipe cleaner. (Floral wire also works well.)
I recommend using two to three ribbons measuring 3 to 4-inches each for the best results on your tree.
You can decide if you want to place your ribbons in a spiral motion down the tree, as I did, or experiment with cascading tails of ribbons coming down from the top.
Feel free to get wild and try something else entirely!
For a completely different ribbon style with a similar color scheme, check out my classic Christmas home tour! I have more tips for Christmas tree decorating in that post.
I then switched up the look using the same color scheme for this Christmas living room decor.
Also, if you’re looking to coordinate your fireplace with your tree decor, check out these 25 Christmas mantel decor ideas.
Tip #2: Add Floral Picks for Extra Texture
My tree had a lovely texture from the start, but I wanted MORE!
Floral picks with a variety of pines, poinsettias, frosted branches, pine cones, and berries can help add dimension to a tree.
I landed on a shimmery poinsettia pick with a touch of lime green leaves and glittery pine branches.
If the stems are large enough, you can typically buy five or so and then separate some of the pieces to distribute them more throughout the tree.
Tip: Placing floral picks in a triangle or diamond shape helps the tree feel balanced.
As you’ll see in the photos below, I also inserted some red glittery stems throughout the tree and the coordinating Christmas garland to add more glam factor.
Tip #3: Fill in with coordinating and contrasting Christmas ornaments
I always try to strike a balance between adding sophisticated ornament sets and including sentimental homemade ornaments from my kids.
My twin boys and I recently made easy salt dough ornaments, and those will definitely hang on a tree in our home!
To complement the ribbon and picks, I mixed red, gold and green hand-painted ornaments with a few gold sequined ornaments from Hobby Lobby. Of course, I added some sentimental pieces from years past, too.
You’ll notice above I used the same gold and red ribbon to create a tree topper, along with a few pieces of my floral picks and gold berries.
A Final Look at the Red & Gold Christmas Tree
Next year, I may decide to change up my Christmas tree theme, but for now, I’m enjoying the traditional red and gold Christmas tree.
I especially love the effect at night with a cup of hot cocoa in my hands.
To see more photos of my Christmas living room, you can visit my Red and Gold Christmas Tree Decoration Ideas from last year.
I hope you enjoyed these tips for Christmas tree decorating. Leave a comment below if you have any questions or tips of your own!
Pin it for later!
Let’s meet all the hosts of this Christmas Tree Hop!
I hope you’ll visit my talented blogger friends below. We look forward to sharing our Christmas tree ideas with you, and we hope you enjoy this collaboration as much as we do!
- Christmas Home Tour from Kippi at Home
- Christmas Tree With Traditional And Rustic Colors from Tribe of Burton
- Blue and White Chinoiserie Holiday Tree from Simple Nature Decor
- Colorful White Christmas Tree from Creative Ramblings
- A Farmhouse Style Christmas Tree from Simply Beautiful by Angela
- Christmas Trees 2019 from Virginia Sweet Pea
- Red Plaid Christmas Tree from 2 Bees in a Pod
- Christmas Tree Decor from Create and Babble
- DIY Luke 2 Christmas Tree from To Work with My Hands
- How To Decorate A Rustic Neutral Christmas Tree from One Thousand Oaks
- Simple and Elegant Country Class Christmas Tree from Redneck Rhapsody
- Traditional Family Christmas Tree from Sustain My Craft Habit
- Christmas Tree Inspiration Ideas from My Life On Kaydeross Creek
- How To Put Ribbon On A Christmas Tree from Upright and Caffeinated
- Beautiful Minimal Christmas Tree Decor from Sonya Burgess
- Christmas Tree Ideas from Welcome to the Woods
- Christmas Tree Decor from Teadoddles
- A Shiny Brite Christmas Tree from Celebrate and Decorate
- Rustic Plaid Woodland Christmas Tree from Zucchini Sisters
- A Buffalo Check Flocked Christmas Tree from Weekend Craft
- Cozy Minimal Christmas Tree from Northern Feeling
- A Peppermint Striped Christmas Tree from County Road 407
- Elegant Flocked Christmas Tree With Blue and Silver from Our Crafty Mom
- Fabulous Tree in Blue, Rose Gold and Copper from Across the Boulevard
- Mini Beachmas Tree from My Pinterventures
- Plaid Decorated Christmas Tree from Intelligent Domestications
- Red Truck Buffalo Plaid Christmas Tree from Modern on Monticello
- Christmas Tree Decor from Southern Yankee DIY
- Christmas Tree Decorating Tips from First Day of Home
- Pink and Gold Christmas Tree Decor from From House to Home
- Christmas Tree Home Tour from Just That Perfect Piece
- Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas from Red Cottage Chronicles
- Farmhouse Inspired Christmas Tree from Daily DIY Life
- Decorated Flocked Christmas Tree With Homemade Ornaments from Thrifted Nest
- Farmhouse Christmas Tree from Domestic Deadline
- Christmas Tree Decor from A Life Unfolding
- Sentimental Christmas Tree from Oh Fiddle Dee Dee
- Blush and Rose Gold Christmas Tree from Happily Ever After, etc.