This easy chicken fajitas recipe is far simpler than most (only SIX ingredients!) and packs a mouthful of flavor. It’s the most authentic chicken fajita marinade recipe around and results in tender, juicy fajitas every time.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. For more information, please see my disclosures.
Best Chicken Fajita Recipe
Put away your Instant Pot or slow cooker. This recipe is the real deal…juicy chicken breasts cooked on a hot grill or skillet. There are no shortcuts, but the good news is, you don’t need shortcuts with this authentic recipe!
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients (six to be exact), and you can leave the chicken in the marinade overnight. Your chicken fajitas will be ready to go at a moment’s notice when you fire up the stove or pit!
To cook along with me, you can watch my YouTube video on how to cook chicken fajitas.
- Use thinly sliced chicken breasts (preferably) or chicken tenders
- Leave chicken in marinade overnight or at least 5-7 hours
- Use either a grill or large skillet (cast-iron recommended) for best results
- Make sure chicken reaches 165°F internal temp before serving. (I use this food thermometer to know for sure.)
- Freeze your cooked chicken fajitas for an easy weeknight meal
- Add pico de gallo, guacamole (avocado), cheese, sour cream, red peppers, yellow peppers, green bell peppers and onion, as desired
- Squeeze fresh lime juice on cooked chicken fajitas for extra tangy flavor
- Serve with flour tortillas or corn tortillas
Serving Chicken Fajitas
In Texas, our preferred method of eating chicken fajitas is wrapped in a flour tortilla with guacamole and other garnishes like cilantro, colorful peppers, onion, cheese, pico de gallo and/or sour cream.
Of course, the final topping is usually a dab (or five) of spicy salsa. Squeeze a little lime wedge over your flame-licked chicken and mmmmm-mmmm!
We typically have charro beans (my favorite) or refried beans on the side as well as authentic Spanish rice. A margarita or Mexican beer doesn’t hurt if that strikes your fancy, too.
Related post: Authentic Red Enchiladas Recipe
Share the Recipe
Have you tried this recipe? Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram with a photo @firstdayofhome!
Pin it for later!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 lemons
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 4 teaspoons onion flakes (dried onion)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- Pour oil into bowl and add juice of four lemons.
- Add onion flakes, garlic, salt and black pepper.
- Optional: add thyme
- Pour marinade over chicken breasts in a dish and refrigerate overnight or 5-7 hours.
- Pre-heat grill (about 375°F) or large skillet at medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 5-6 minutes on one side. Then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes until the internal temp reaches about 165°F.
- Optional: Cut green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, sweet red peppers and onion to grill and serve with chicken.
- Cut and serve chicken fajitas with tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, lime wedges, cheese or other condiments of your choosing.
After cooking, you can freeze individual chicken fajita breasts to enjoy for a weeknight meal.
Use the cooked chicken fajitas for other meals, including grilled chicken salad, quesadillas or enchiladas.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 4 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 19g
Nutritional information may vary based on your portion size.
Thanks for stopping by!