DIY T-shirt for Mother’s Day (Free SVG File)
Today, I’ve got a quick and easy project to help you make an epic t-shirt for Mother’s Day! Your mom will love this DIY gift, and she’ll never guess you made it yourself. It’s the perfect present for the diva mom in your life.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. For more information, please see my disclosures.
How to Make a T Shirt for Mother’s Day
For this project, you’ll need a few t-shirt supplies that you can purchase on Amazon or a local craft store.
- Raglan t-shirt or other cotton shirt
- Silhouette Cameo or Cricut cutting machine
- Glitter heat transfer vinyl and/or smooth heat transfer vinyl
- Rhinestones (10ss) and related supplies
- Silhouette cutting mat (preferred)
- Heat press or iron
- Free SVG files (download below)*
For easier shopping, I’ve included links to some of the supplies below. When you buy through these links, you help support this site, at no extra cost to you! Win-win! 🙌🏼
*For the Silhouette Cameo, you’ll need the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition or Business Edition to import SVG files. With the Cricut, you’ll want to import your files as a vector upload.
Download Your Mother’s Day T-Shirt Designs
These SVG files are available for personal use only and may not be distributed, reproduced, or sold under any circumstances.
“Who Run the World? Moms!” (Free SVG Design)
I’ve included two SVG files for your convenience: one with rhinestones and one without.
You’ll notice the design below is a simplified version of the shirt in the photos. I decided my original design was a little too complex. #lessonlearned
You can download your free Mother’s Day SVG files by completing the form below. After signing up, you’ll receive…
- Access to the First Day of Home library of free printables and other downloads
- Monthly newsletters with more freebies
Simply enter your details below and confirm your e-mail. (Be sure to check your Promotions or Spam folder.)
Already a subscriber? You can enter your info below and automatically receive your free SVG file by e-mail.
Instructions for Cutting SVG Files
These downloads work with both Cricut Design Space and Silhouette Studio (Designer Edition and above). Here’s a quick overview of how to use these files.
- Open SVG file, and do not resize the image if using rhinestones.
- Mirror the image and cut your heat-transfer vinyl (HTV) according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Weed any excess vinyl, leaving only your design.
- Cut the rhinestone pattern using template material, without mirroring the design. (I highly recommend getting the Rhinestone Starter Kit if this is your first rhinestone project. It comes with everything you need.)
- Feed the rhinestones into the holes, and place transfer tape over the design to get the rhinestones to stick.
- Use an iron or heat press to apply the smooth HTV first, then glitter HTV and rhinestones. When layering vinyl, apply the smooth vinyl first for 1 second, peel it while hot, then apply the other layers. When applying multiple layers, always use a cover sheet to protect your iron or heat press from the vinyl you’ve already applied. Your last layer should be pressed for a total of 15-20 seconds.
For a full recap of how to apply heat transfer vinyl to a t-shirt, please see my post on making a Valentine’s patterned HTV shirt with Cameo.
Washing and Care Instructions
- Wait 24 hours before washing the shirt.
- Machine wash inside out on gentle cycle.
- Dry on normal setting or hang dry.
- No bleaching or dry cleaning!
More Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
If you don’t have time to make a HTV t-shirt for Mother’s Day, try these other DIY gift ideas for moms that take less than an hour to make…
Pin it for later!
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the moms out there!