Are you ready for “back to school” mania to begin? Ready or not, here it comes! In this tutorial, you’ll learn exactly how to make an easy back to school sign and score a free printable and SVG file.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. For more information, please see my disclosures.
Back to School Sign – Chalkboard SVG and Printable
About this time of year, parents everywhere are enjoying the last days of summer with their kids. Perhaps school has already begun but you’re feeling guilty that you didn’t have “one of those signs” for your kids. #alwaysnextyear
Perhaps you’re here because you’re scrambling to get your photo props ready for the first day of school.
In either case, I’m arming you with the files and supplies you’ll need to snap some great photos of the kiddos for all those social media posts you’re about to drop.
See two versions below: 1) Chalkboard sign made with Cameo/Cricut or 2) Printable sign.
1) Chalkboard “Back to School” Sign for Cameo/Cricut
- Matte adhesive vinyl
- Silhouette Cameo or Cricut (for SVG files)
- Transfer tape (for SVG files)
How to Make a Back to School Chalkboard SVG Sign
1. Download the Back to School SVG File. (See instructions at the end of this post.)
Open the file in Silhouette Studio or Cricut Design Space, and resize the images as desired.
*Note: You need the “Designer Edition” of Silhouette Studio to open SVG files.
2. Send text/images to a cutting machine.
Make sure the images do not overlap when you send the file to cut. You’ll want to cut images with the same color at the same time.
I usually copy and paste text/images on a separate tab and send one color at a time to my machine. Alternatively, you can cut by “fill” and select/deselect the colors you want to cut for each vinyl piece.
3. Weed the vinyl to reveal only the text/image you want to transfer. Trim any excess paper.
4. Use transfer tape to “pick up” the matte vinyl from the paper backing and apply it to the chalkboard.
Start with the top edge or left/right edge and smooth the design onto the chalkboard with your hand or a hard piece of plastic (like a credit card) to prevent air bubbles. Then, pull the transfer tape off.
*Note: You can reuse the same transfer tape as long as it remains tacky.
5. Write in the name, grade, age and/or date on your chalkboard with chalk markers.
Snap a photo, share it with friends and family, and wish your child a great start to the new school year!
NOTE: For other school-related projects, be sure to check out my post on where you can download FREE fonts for fall.
Shop for Chalkboard Sign Supplies
2) Printable Back to School Sign Version
If you need a quick photo prop, I’m also offering a printable “First Day of School” sign. This printable is formatted to print on a standard 8.5×11-inch sheet of paper or cardstock.
Have a great school year! If you use this back to school sign, please tag me on Instagram @firstdayofhome!
Pin it for later!
- Adhesive vinyl
- Transfer tape*
- Chalkboard markers*
- *For SVG file version
- Cameo or Cricut (for SVG file version)
- Computer printer (for printable file)
- If using a Cameo/Cricut, download the SVG file. Otherwise, download the printable PDF version and skip to step 6.
- Resize the file as needed to fit your chalkboard, and send the file(s) to your cutting machine to cut each vinyl piece. Make sure pieces do not overlap, and print each color of vinyl separately.
- Weed the vinyl to reveal only the graphics you want to transfer. Trim any excess paper backing.
- Use transfer tape to "pick up" the vinyl from the paper backing, and apply it to the chalkboard. Start at one edge and press firmly with your hands or hard plastic to smooth out air bubbles. Then, remove the transfer tape and repeat with remaining vinyl pieces.
- Using chalkboard markers, fill out the blank spaces with your child's age, grade and other details.
- If using the PDF file, simply print the file on thick paper or cardstock (8.5x11-inch) and fill out the information for your child.